A historical name of the building on Josefska 1/42 street in Lesser Town (Mala Strana) is the ”House at the Golden Eagle” (at the corner). The building is also known under its original name “The House at the 3 Lambs”.
The house was rebuilt into a hotel with high urban quality. The building is under the sight of the memorial office, along with other historical landmarks, and is part of the Czech National Heritage.
The first written mentions of the locality where the house was built come from the 12th century when the defensive ditch and rampart were replaced with Gothic buildings and roads. Remains of the previous rampart are still preserved in the basement in the central part, approximately 4 meters deep.
The first mentions of the purchasing of the house are from 1408, when shoemaker Veleslav, called Stemberk, bought the house from shoemaker Vaclav Jikrnac for an unknown price.
Originally, there were two separate buildings where The Hotel Charles stands today. The corner house “At the Golden Eagle” and the house with the entrance on the Josefska street ”The house at the Three Lambs”.
These two houses were joined together during the reconstruction in 1685, the house kept the name At the Golden Eagle.